Are you trying to figure out whether your boiler needs to be repaired or replaced? While replacing a boiler entirely may be more expensive, it can also save you money in repairs long-term — a lot like a car. Here are a few factors you can use to make your decision.
When to Repair Your Boiler
- If you haven’t experienced any issues with it previously. If your boiler has been functioning fine and simply needs a part replaced, it’s unlikely that you’ll need a new replacement.
- If the repair is relatively inexpensive. An inexpensive part is under 10% of the boiler’s cost. You’ll be looking at a sizable increase of your expenses if you choose to replace your boiler rather than repair it.
- If your boiler is five years old or younger. A new boiler is very unlikely to need to be replaced. In fact, if your boiler does need to be replaced at that age, it’s likely that there are some other issues involved, such as a manufacturing defect.
When to Replace Your Boiler
- If you’ve noticed a significant increase in your bills. Your utility bills will go up if your boiler is malfunctioning. While that isn’t proof that the boiler needs to be replaced, it is a bad sign when combined with any of the below.
- If your boiler is ten years old or older. Most boilers are designed to work anywhere from 10 to 20 years. A boiler that is 10 years old or even older may simply be approaching the end of its usable lifespan.
- If your repairs will cost more than 50%. If your boiler is at least a few years old, it’s likely that it’s only worth about 50% of its original value. if the repairs will cost more than that, it may not be worth it.
- If your boiler has needed a large number of repairs. A boiler that has needed a significant amount of repairs will likely continue to need that amount of repairs. If a boiler requires repairs multiple times a year, it’s a sign that the boiler itself is breaking down; you may get locked into a cycle of constantly replacing parts.
A boiler repair specialist will also be able to tell you whether they believe your boiler should be repaired or replaced. They may know more about your specific brand or model of boiler and whether or not it would be advantageous to make the investment now. Contact a business, such as Schweitzer Roger & Sons, for more information.